Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Authorsday: Mila Ramos

1. What do you know now that you are published that you didn’t know pre-published that you wish you knew?

One of the most important things I wish I had learned was marketing strategies. It took me a while, and still learning, to understand how to do them and where to focus in regards to my books. Each year, since I have been published I try to learn some of the more important techniques to use to get to readers. Just found a new one today, so I know as each puzzle piece of being a writer falls together, it will get easier.

2. What was the best writing advice someone gave you?
Never, EVER, be afraid to ask questions about the world of writing and always work on your craft. As a young writer, I had no clue what to do, who to turn to and what the process was in writing & publishing. I spoke to experienced writers who very graciously spoke to me about the ins and outs of the industry as well as guided me towards areas I can use to become a better writer.



3. What was the worst? Did you know it at the time?
At the time, I didn’t realize it was bad advice but it instilled a little doubt at the time. I was once told that reading books about plot development, style, and technique would destroy my writing voice. It was a bit puzzling to understand how that could destroy my voice but overtime I see how it is possible to become too mechanical when writing.

4. If you could ask your readers one question, what would it be?
Something I’ve personally wondered is if readers have ever wanted a particular genre of sci-fi/paranormal explored? Vampires, werewolves are popular but is there something that you’ve always wanted to see in a story; some sort of paranormal element.



5. Tell me one thing about yourself that very few people know?
I love meeting people, talking and learning about the world I live in but most people are amazed with as much of a social butterfly as I am, I have stage fright. It’s easier when I have to teach someone (which I have done for a few years) but my ears turn dark red whenever I have to stand up in front of a group of people. It’s a work in progress.

6. If you have a day job, what is it?
I have a wonderful job at the moment; I’m a graduate student in Chemistry. I’m currently in my second year in my PhD in Chemistry. I love Chemistry and oddly enough that is one of the toughest subjects to incorporate in a story. Odd, I know but I have yet been able to get a true story going that relates to the subject I love.



7. What do you consider your strengths in terms of your writing?
One of the strengths I’m blessed with is the ability to make the reader feel the emotions of the characters. I love stories when you are inside the mind of the characters. That is a very important point I try to strive for as well as making the story become something to be remembered, even if it’s mythical. I love the what-if scenario in stories, and strive for that always.



8. What do you consider your weakness and what strategies do you use to overcome it?
Unfortunately, I have the very bad tendency to want to go back and fix stories that are currently out. I know that over time writing improves and with that improvement the need to go back and fix previous stories is tempting. There are some stories that need to be left as is, but some I have conceded to improve should it be necessary. My other bad habit is switching point of views too quickly, but I thank the heavens for the editors (friends and in-house), for catching it.



9. What’s your favorite quote?
"Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving.

- Albert Einstein



10. What was the hardest scene to write?
I love charged emotional scenes but they are the most taxing to write. For instance, when you know that your characters have to go through pain but it is vital to their growth as well as the story. There have been times where I have felt the mixture of emotions as the characters while working on the story. Those are the best scenes in any book.



Author Bio:
Mila was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico. At an early age she learned the valuable secrets books contained. It all started with the Lois Duncan book, “A Gift of Magic.” Mysterious worlds, faraway places helped nourish different ideas and concepts of the real world.
She currently resides in Texas, with family, friends and love nearby. Her favorite genres are: Paranormal, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Erotica and anything her mind concocts. Crazy and silly as the ideas she sometimes has, Mila has an affinity for every character she writes as well as sharing those worlds with her readers.



Echoes and Illusions –
Reel-to-Real:

A curious invitation mystifies acclaimed movie critic Moira Castle as she returns home to face hidden memories and answers she's not ready to hear or feel.

The Seventh Legend:

A children's tune states the key. A children's story holds the clues. Millennium has passed for the justice to be served.

The Watchers:

Watchers are sworn to uphold the Sacred Draleigh Coven. Selene is their Enforcer and Protector. Yet the Coven never prepared her for one thing – Michael.

Smoke and Mirrors:

Ana Fiore and Dakota Hastings are rival doctors vying for Chief of Staff position. Snowed-in at a conference, the doctors must face their pasts and feelings.

No comments: